Enterprise Mobility Strategy and Planning
Strategic Planning for Mobile Applications
Mobility introduces new possibilities for communication and collaboration by extending access to existing enterprise applications to mobile devices. If done properly it allows your employees to be productive anytime and anywhere. Although the significant benefits of mobility are apparent, mobile choices are not easy and most enterprises are challenged to find a way to do so easily and cost effectively. With the diversity of device types and capabilities, the potential applications, and the myriad of development platforms it is difficult for most enterprises to know where to begin. The average person has tough decisions to be make like:
- What applications make the most sense to deploy to a mobile worker?
- What kind of technologies should be used to ensure the right application gets to the right end-user device in a safe and secure way?
- Which device is most appropriate for which application?
- What type of connectivity (Wi-Fi, cellular, both, or none) is required for each application?
- What platform or platforms should we use to develop our mobile applications?
- Can the Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) application(s) is purchased be extended if necessary?
- Can and how do we support these applications once deployed?
- How do I secure the devices, applications, and data?
- How do I manage all these devices across multiple locations when they are constantly on the move?
- Can mobility investments be leveraged to other parts of the organization?
- How do I measure success?
Getting the answer to these questions and many more are imperative to achieving a positive ROI on your investment in mobility.
A Well Thought-Out Mobile Strategy
The number one reason that mobile projects fail is that companies do not have a well thought out mobile strategy to address the overall needs of their organization. The lack of an overall corporate strategic vision to drive mobile initiatives across multiple groups and businesses often means that project implementers make choices that are not optimal for the long-term needs of the organization.
- Has your company developed a mobile strategy?
- Does your team understand the unique differences between a mobile application and a desktop solution?
- Are you developers trained in mobile application development?
- Do your business users actively participate in the defining your mobile requirements?
- Does your development team have a firm understanding of the end-user’s business needs and requirements?
- Is your team struggling to articulate how many resources (budget, manpower, time) and what kind are needed to ensure success of your mobility initiatives?
If you’d like to know more about Versona Systems capabilities in mobile projects, please contact 713-654-8200 or Sales@VersonaSystems.com.