After installing a new wireless network, the system must be commissioned, or brought online. Versona Systems engineers will configure and make the network operational. Versona Systems would then perform a certification, or validation, of the newly implemented WLAN. During the Certification phase, the engineering team verifies the WLAN is working optimally by performing the following tasks:
- A spectrum analysis is performed in the appropriate radio frequency (RF) bands to identify any changes in the RF environment since the wireless site survey was conducted.
- Each access point (AP) location is visited and observed to determine if the hardware has been installed correctly. A photograph is taken for reference.
The engineer authenticates to each AP, and the performance of each is evaluated. Entailing the passage of constant data packets to the AP, an active survey approach is taken, which is more accurate and far superior to a less thorough passive survey technique used by some surveyors. The coverage cell is mapped according to predetermined wireless specifications for a particular implementation.
If an AP is not performing as expected per the WLAN survey design, either due to radio frequency (RF) or physical environmental changes, AP or wireless controller configuration parameters are adjusted as necessary.
After the performance of each AP is verified to be optimal, the final configuration parameters, as well as AP identity and location-specific information, are collected. This information includes:
- Column Number or Description of the Exact Location as per the Site Drawing
- AP Hostname, IP Address, MAC address
- Antenna Type and Its Height
- AP Transmit Power and Channel Settings
- IDF or Switch Identification if Available
Upon completion of the certification, a report is compiled, which includes the following deliverables:
- Equipment List Containing the Aforementioned Data
- Individual AP “As Installed” Sheets
- Coverage Drawing in AutoCAD, Visio, and/or “Heat map” Format
- Pertinent Certification Findings or Outstanding Items
If you’d like to know more about Versona Systems capabilities in WLAN certification, please contact 713-654-8200 or Sales@VersonaSystems.com.